Thursday, July 19, 2012

Blessings For Not Making Me A .....

One of the most fascinating aspects of tefilla for me is the simultaneous tensions between past and present, tradition and change, structure and passion, and the individual vs. the community.  I am reminded of this struggle each morning when I arrive in the siddur at birkot ha'shachar, the morning blessings that begin with a thank you for not making me a non-Jew, a slave, or a woman.

Yehuda Mirsky published last March a brief scholarly review of "The Three Blessings".  I encourage you all to read it and share what and why you say what you say in the morning.  The history of these blessings are complex and cloudy but I think reflects the agency to which people adopt, adapt or resist change in their tefillot.

No comments:

Post a Comment